Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member
    The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Did some serious smoking over the weekend.

The winter months will be here before we know it, so it never hurts to be prepared. I still want to eat good even when we can't get outside or when we are busy in the woods. 20 pounds of beef roast went into the smoker on Saturday and Sunday evening it got shredded and put into jars and then in the canner. Next weekend pork is going to be canned.

It may not be the best option, but come winter I will be eating pulled pork or beef sandwiches whenever I want
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    Way to think ahead! I’ve never canned meat is it pretty simple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    yes it is. I packed it in pretty decent after mixing in my sauce and then pressure canned it at 10 pounds of pressure for about an hour and 15 minutes.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    I've been putting up my pulled pork shoulders for the winter by vacuum packing the serving size I want and then freezing it. Pull it out, drop it (unopened) into a pot of boiling water for 25 minutes and when you cut the bag open the aroma is incredible. It tastes pretty much like it just came out of the smoker.

Title
    Premium Member
    Sounds good to me.
    Nemo me impune lacessit

Title
    Premium Member
    We do somewhat the same thing when smoking meat as we do large portions too but we just vacuum seal it and throw it in the freezer. When my four daughters use to be home and the boyfriends would show I would do about 15 pounds every other week and it would be gone. We had no problem getting the boys to be at our house so I could keep an eye on things. Made the girls a bit miffed a times as I would occupy the boys time doing stuff with them as they would want to see what I was working on, cars, smoked meat or something else.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    The spousal and sibling units got put on smoker duty this weekend. Both pork shoulders and chickens are absorbing wonderful flavors today and they too are destined to see the inside of my canner.
    Nemo me impune lacessit